On this day in 2001, Bollywood action movie starring Sunny Deol, Amisha Patel and Amrish Puri in the lead was released. Helmed by Anil Sharma, ‘Gadar: Ek Prem Katha’ wreaked havoc at the box-office as it turned out to be the biggest blockbuster of all time in the history of Indian cinema at the time of its release. ‘Gadar’ revolves around Tara Singh (portrayed by Deol), a Sikh truck driver from Amritsar, who falls in love with Sakina (portrayed by Ameesha Patel), a Muslim girl hailing from a political family in Lahore, Pakistan.
Some of the media reports suggested that ‘Gadar: Ek Prem Katha’ almost broke the record of ‘Sholay’ in terms of tickets sold.
Here are some interesting facts about ‘Gadar’ on 18 years of its release
1. ‘Gadar’ is the highest-grossing film in Sunny’s acting career.
2. ‘Gadar: Ek Prem Katha’ became so popular in Punjab that the theatres started filming the first show at 6 in the morning due to audience demand.
3. The steam engine used in the film, was hired from the Railway Museum in Delhi.
4. It was Ameesha Patel’s second film after her blockbuster debut in Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai opposite Hrithik Roshan.
5. Gadar was widely shot in Shimla, including some portions at Bishop Cotton School. A couple of scenes were also shot at Sacred Heart School, Dalhousie. Major part of the film was shot in Pathankot, Sarna and Amritsar.
6. The story of Gadar is loosely based on the real life of Boota Singh, a Sikh ex-soldier of the British Army, who served at the Burma front during World War II. According to reports, he rescued a Muslim girl during the communal riots at the time of partition. Both fell in love and tied the knot, however, later, the girl was deported and went back to Pakistan. Boota illegally entered Pakistan to bring his wife back, but when the girl succumbed to her family’s pressure, he committed suicide by jumping before a train.
7. Reportedly, Gadar holds a world record for being the only movie in the world for which 10 crore tickets were sold.