Geeta Bali was born in Amritsar, Punjab in 1930. She was considered as one of the most spontaneous and expressive stars of Bollywood. The actress was only 34-years-old when she died in 1965.
Here are some lesser known facts about the actress:
- Geeta Bali’s real name was Harikirtan Kaur.
- She was just 16 when she came to Mumbai. She also changed her name to Geeta, which was the name of one of the characters she played while Bali was her father’s last name.
- Geeta Bali was a classically trained dancer, could sing well and knew horse riding.
- She even learned Gatka, a traditional form of martial arts popular amongst Sikhs
- Before making her acting debut with Manju’s Badnami in 1946, Bali began acting in films as a teenager with The Cobbler.
- She got married wit Shammi Kapoor on 23 August 1955.
- She passed away after suffering from smallpox at a young age of 34.
To know more about Geeta Bali, don’t forget to watch Punjab Mail on July 16 at 2:30 PM on PTC Punjabi.