Mutton Rara is a mouthwatering Mutton recipe that is a unique combination of Mutton Pieces and Gosht Keema (Minced Mutton). This Punjabi mutton dish is best served with Naan, Kulcha or Butter Tandoori Roti. Mutton Rara takes a little more time and efforts to cook but the results are worth appreciating. It is served as a part of the Main Course Cuisine. This can also be cooked in Himachali Style
Recipe for Chicken Rara remains the same.
- 500 Gram Mutton
- 200 Gram Minced Mutton (Keema)
- 4 Pc(s) Onions Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger, Garlic and Green Chilli Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red Chilli Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Cup Yogurt (Curd / Dahi) Should be Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Ghee(Clarified Butter)/Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Julienne Cut For Garnishing
- 1 Tablespoon Green Coriander Chopped For Garnishing
- Salt to Taste
- 4 Pc(s) Cloves / Laung
- 2 Pc(s) Green Cardamom / Ilayachi
- 1 Pc(s) Black Cardamom / Badi Ilayachi
- 1 Inch Cinnamon Stick / Dalcheeni / dalchini
- 2 Pc(s) Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 5 Pc(s) Whole Black Pepper / Kali Mirchi Dana
Marinate mutton pieces with curd, salt and garam masala powder. Give mutton pieces a nice rub and keep it aside for 3 - 4 hours.
Heat Ghee/Oil in a heavy bottom pan or a pressure cooker.
Add all the whole spices followed by adding the chopped onions after the whole spices crack. Fry the onions till they nice dark brown in color.
Add the ginger garlic and chilli paste and bhuno (sauté) for some time.
Now add all whole spices - Red Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder and salt. Add a few drops of water to prevent the masala from burning (this could be repeated as and when required).
Add the marinated mutton and keep bhunoing (cooking) for 20 -25 minutes or till the oil separates from the mutton pieces.
Add Keema (Minced Mutton). Stir continuously till the time the mutton is cooked well and a thick gravy consistency is reached. (To fasten the process, you may pressure cook the mutton.)
The color of the gravy should turn dark brown from all the sauteing /bhuno process.
Dish out the mutton in a bowl and garnish with chopped green coriander and ginger juliennes.
The same process could be followed to make Chicken Rara and should not take more than 60 minutes to cook.
OUR RECIPE EXPERT - Chef: Sugandha Mathur